- The article "Identification of alterations in the Jacobian of biochemical reaction networks from steady state covariance data at two conditions" by Philipp Kügler and Wei Yang has been accepted by the Journal of Mathematical Biology.
- Philipp Kügler successfully defended his habilitation thesis on April 29, 2013 at Johannes Kepler University Linz.
- Ulrich Langer accepted a MATHEON guest professorship position at the TU Berlin, Germany, for the Summer Semester (Sabbatical)
- From April through September 2013, Ronny Ramlau will be Acting Director of RICAM. Karl Kunisch remains Deputy Director.
- Philipp Kügler accepted a call for a W3-professorship in "Mathematik, insbesondere Modellierung komplexer biologischer Systeme" at University Hohenheim, Germany, as of April 2013.
- Heinz W. Engl and Harald Niederreiter have been appointed Fellows of the American Mathematical Society.
- Sergei Pereverzyev has been granted the FWF project: 'Data-driven and problem-oriented choice of the regularization space' (03.12.2012).
- The programme of the festivities on the occassions of "10 years RICAM" and "60th birthday of Prof. Heinz W. Engl" from March 27-28, 2013 can be found here.
- Public hearings for the RICAM directorship taking place on November 2, 2012 at 10:00, 13:00, 15:00, 17:00 in SP2 416. All RICAM collaborators are most welcome.
- The article "Ultrasensitive in-vitro detection of Adrenocorticotropic hormone levels by Fluorescence Correlation Spectroscopy Immunoassay for mathematical modeling of glucocorticoid mediated feedback mechanisms in the HPA axis" by the RICAM group "Mathematical Methods in Molecular and Systems Biology" and the MFPL group "Biomolecular optical spectroscopy" has been accepted for publication in the EURASIP Journal on Bioinformatics and Systems Biology.
- Dr. Philipp Kügler received a call for a W3-professorship in "Mathematik, insbesondere Modellierung komplexer biologischer Systeme" at University Hohenheim, Germany.
- Massimo Fornasier has been awarded an ERC Starting Grant for the project "High-Dimensional Sparse Optimal Control".
- Dr. Sivananthan Sampath joined as an assistant professor in IIT Delhi, India.
- DK lecture on Fundamentals: Tensor spaces and numerical tensor calculus by Prof. Wolfgang Hackbusch (MPI Leipzig) starts on July 6, 2012. More information available here.
- The article "On the reconstruction of interfaces using complex geometrical optics solutions for the acoustic case" by Mourad Sini and Kazuki Yoshida has been selected as an insight paper by the journal Inverse Problems. It can be read here.
- The NFN S117 "Geometry + Simulation" started on March 1, 2012.
- RICAM-Workshop on Finite Fields and Their Applications: Character Sums and Polynomials , September 2 - 7, 2012 in St. Wolfgang (Strobl)
- The article about RICAM was published in the Sunday edition of the newspaper "Die Presse" on March 11, 2012.
- Prof. Heinz W. Engl has received an Honorary Doctorate from Universität des Saarlandes in Saarbrücken.
- Since Jan.1, Prof. Ulrich Langer is acting director of the institute, Prof. Karl Kunisch remains deputy director. The founding director Prof. Heinz W. Engl, who is now rector of the University of Vienna, remains connected to the institute as scientific advisor.
- Massimo Fornasier has been awarded the Biennial Prize of SIMAI - Società Italiana di Matematica Applicata ed Industriale (Italian Society of Applied and Industrial Mathematics).
- Inverse Problems Group is supporting the initiative "Mathematics of Planet Earth 2013" by organizing the conference "New Trends in Regularization theory and methods for Geomathematical problems" at the Centre de Recerca Matematica, Spain, together with Geomathematics Group, TU Kaiserslautern, Germany, Geomathematics Group, University of Siegen, Germany, and Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China.
- Sergei Pereverzyev was invited to join the editorial board of Diabetes & Metabolism.
- Erwin Karer has successfully defended his PhD thesis "Subspace Correction Methods for Linear Elasticity" on December 19th, 2011.
- Jan Vybiral has successfully defended his habilitation thesis "Decomposition methods and their applications in the theory of function spaces" on December 5th, 2011 at Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Germany.
- Monday, 17. Oct. 2011: Dedication of the new supercomputer MACH, a joint-venture of the Universities of Innsbruck and Linz.
- RICAM has moved into a new location: Science Park, Building 2, Altenberger Strasse 69, 4040 Linz (Photos). Also the group "Mathematical Methods in Molecular and Systems Biology" has moved and is now located at Apostelgasse 23, 1030 Vienna.
- Arne Winterhof was invited to join the editorial board of Designs, Codes and Cryptography.
- The article "Three-dimensional acoustic scattering by complex obstacles: the accuracy issue" by M F Ben Hassen, O Ivanyshyn and M Sini, that appeared in Inverse Problems has been selected as one of the journal's "Highlights 2010"; it can be read freely until the end of 2011 via the link: Highlights 2010
- The article "Morozov's discrepancy principle for Tikhonov-type functionals with nonlinear operators" by Stephan Anzengruber and Ronny Ramlau, that appeared in Inverse Problems has been selected as one of the journal's "Highlights 2010"; it can be read freely until the end of 2011 via the link: Highlights 2010
- Massimo Fornasier has accepted a call to a full professorship at TU Munich (from April 1, 2011). He will remain associated with RICAM to complete his START-project.
- Daniel Wachsmuth has been granted the FWF project: "FWF P23484 hp-FEM für Optimalsteuerungsprobleme" (09.03.2011).
- Institute Director Heinz W. Engl has been elected Rector of the University of Vienna for the period Oct. 1, 2011 through Sept. 30, 2015.
- Special Semester on Multiscale Simulation & Analysis in Energy and the Environment 2011
- David Sevilla has been granted the FWF project: "FWF P22766-N18 Radical parametrizations of algebraic curves."
- Dr. Shuai Lu, formerly at RICAM, now at Fudan University (Shanghai), has been awarded a Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship.
- Johannes Kraus has been granted the FWF project: "P-22989 - Subspace correction methods for nearly singular and indefinite problems with highly oscillatory coefficients."
- On October 14, Univ.-Doz. Dr. Massimo Fornasier will give a talk at the next meeting of the Office of the Section Mathematics and Natural Sciences of the Austrian Academy of Sciences in Vienna.
- On Sept. 8, Prof. Heinz W. Engl has been awarded an Honorary Professorship at Fudan University (Shanghai) for his achievements in industrial mathematics and the mathematics of inverse problems. Photo from the award ceremony, Photo from the inaugural lecture.
- The article "Inverse Problems in Systems Biology" by Heinz W Engl, Christoph Flamm, Philipp Kuegler, James Lu, Stefan Mueller and Peter Schuster, that appeared in Inverse Problems has been selected as one of the journal's "Highlights 2009"; it can be read freely until the end of 2010 via the link: Highlights 2009
- The article "Convergence rates for Tikhonov regularisation of non-linear ill-posed problems" by Heinz W Engl, Karl Kunisch and Andreas Neubauer, that appeared in Inverse Problems, Volume 5, Number 4, 523-540, August 1989 has been selected as one of the journal's "25th Anniversary Highlights"; it can be read freely until the end of 2010 via the link: 25th Anniversary Highlights
- Mini Special Semester on Inverse Problems, 2010
- Arne Winterhof will be awarded a prize (Foerderungspreis) by the Austrian Mathematical Society (OEMG) 2010.
- Robert Scott Anderssen, a frequent visitor to RICAM, has been awarded with the "Medal of the Order of Australia" on June 14, 2010. See details: It's an Honour
- Dr.Marie-Therese Wolfram, formerly at RICAM, now at DAMTP in Cambridge in Peter Markowich' group, has obtained a Hertha Firnberg scholarship by the Austrian Science Foundation.
- Mourad Sini has been granted the FWF project: Electromagnetic Scattering by Complex Interfaces.
- Arne Winterhof will be one of four invited speakers at the sixth conference on Sequences and their applications (SETA 2010), to be held at Telecom ParisTech, Paris, France, from September 12 to 17, 2010.
- Massimo Fornasier has been awarded the "Best Paper Award" for his publication "Iteratively reweighted least squares minimization for sparse recovery"
- Robert S. Anderssen (Canberra), a frequent visitor to RICAM, has been awarded the ANZIAM medal.
- Workshop "Discontinuous Galerkin Methods - Solvers and Applications", Mai 31st and June 1st, 2010 at RICAM. Organizer: Prof. U. Langer and Dr. S. Tomar
- FWF Start Project - Sparse Approximation on Optimization in High Dimensions Website is NOW ONLINE: http://hdsparse.ricam.oeaw.ac.at
- Arne Winterhof is one of the organizers of Workshop on Dynamical Systems and Uniform Distribution, held at the TU Graz, Department of Mathematics, January 28-29, 2010
- Kepler Prize awarded to Institute Director Heinz W. Engl (PDF, in German), Foto (click here)
- Ricam Summer School on "Theoretical Foundations and Numerical Methods for Sparse Recovery", August 31st - September 4th, 2009
- Karl Kunisch and Peter Markowich have been invited to deliver talks at the International Congress of Mathematicians (ICM), August 19-27, 2010, Hyderabad, India
- Johannes Kraus has successfully defended his habilitation thesis (Venia Docendi) on July 3rd, 2009 at J. Kepler University: "Algebraic multilevel methods for elliptic finite element equations"
- Mourad Sini has successfully defended his habilitation thesis (Venia Docendi) on June 15th, 2009 at J. Kepler University
- Chemnitz-RICAM-Symposium on Inverse Problems, July 14-15, 2009
- Mini Special Semester on Inverse Problems, 2009
- Daniel Wachsmuth has been granted the FWF project: "Verfication of optimality for optimal control problems".
- Satyendra Tomar has been granted the FWF project: "Isogeometric method for Partial Differential Equations".
- RICAM director Heinz W. Engl and Scientific Advisory Board members Peter Deuflhard and Stanley Osher have been named SIAM Fellows for key contributions to applied mathematics and computational science, May 1, 2009.
- Massimo Fornasier has been awarded the "Prix de Boelpaepe" de la Academie des sciences, des lettres et des beaux-arts de Belgique (the Royal Belgium Academy of Science). Click for the original description of the prize (in French, page 13).
- Sven Beuchler has successfully completed his postdoctoral lecture qualification (Habilitation) "High Order FEM-Fast Solvers for Tensor Product Elements"
- Peter Markowich has been invited to present a 45 minute lecture at the ICM 2010, in the section NUMERICAL ANALYSIS AND SCIENTIFIC COMPUTING.
- Prof. Engl has been appointed as member of the international advisory board of the newly-founded Institute for Computational Mathematics at Hong Kong Baptist University (Picture)
- Successful PhD Defense - Marie-Therese Wolfram, Sept. 23: "Forward and Inverse Solvers for Electro-Diffusion Systems".
- Successful PhD Defense - Nataliya Metla, Sept. 17: "The SQP method for elliptic optimal control problems with mixed control-state constraints".
- Successful PhD Defense - Dominik Kortschak, Sept. 15: "Asymptotic properties of compound distribution tails and dependence".
- Successful PhD Defense - Svetlana Cherednichenko, Sept. 9: "Regularization and Discretization of Optimal Control Problems with Pointwise State Constraints".
- The Doctoral Program "Computational Mathematics" (DK, short for the German 'Doktoratskolleg') is a special effort of Geo (Institute of Applied Geometry), Numa (Institute of Computational Mathematics), IndMath (Industrial Mathematics Institute), RISC (Research Institute for Symbolic Computation) and RICAM (Johann Radon Institute of the Austrian Academy of Sciences). The general goal is combined PhD education in numerical analysis and symbolic computation. Currently the DK is granted by the Austrian Science Funds (FWF) for a duration of three years, with a prospect of prolongation for another nine years. It officially starts on October 1, 2008. The director is Prof. Dr. Peter Paule (RISC).
- Arjan Kuijper has accepted an offer as Research Coach at the Fraunhofer IGD together with a teaching position at the TU Darmstadt. Nov. 1, 2008.
- Special Semester on Stochastics with Emphasis on Finance, September 2008-December 2008.
- Prof. Kunisch has been awarded the Alwin Walther Medaille
The Institute is named after the famous Austrian mathematician Johann Radon (1887-1956)
Österreichische Akademie der Wissenschaften
Juristische Person öffentlichen Rechts (BGBl 569/1921 idF BGBl I 130/2003)
Dr. Ignaz Seipel-Platz 2, 1010 Wien
Diese Website dient zur Information über die wissenschaftlichen Aktivitäten der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften und setzt somit den gesetzlichen Auftrag um, die Wissenschaft in jeder Hinsicht zu fördern.